Saturday, September 27, 2008

Looking at my record

Thinking about the debate late last night I came to the conclusion that we often don't really know who the winner of a debate is until time has passed. I remember the Gore/Bush debate and how I watched Gore do terrible and yet there were some very good reviews for Gore the next day. At the time I just lost interest because I wasn't hip to the media's involvement in politics. Bush won the election so ultimately the debates persuaded more voters in his favor. 'Tis a pity he's blamed for every little thing that goes wrong. He doesn't get out and defend himself and it's hurt him.

As for my record, I was going to say I've always voted for the winner but scratch that thought because methinks I voted for Dole one year and he lost. I voted for Clinton the first time around, and against him the second time around. Boy, that's all very unmemorable because I had to look it up on Wikipedia to see who Clinton ran against in 1996. My husband never voted for Clinton. Later when he was impeached I was so ashamed that I voted him in! In 1992 my husband stood in the booth for 30 minutes, literally, 30 minutes. He was deciding who to vote for. He's always been much more informed than I. I sat in the truck waiting and waiting and I was incredulous that as informed as he was he spent so much time at the last possible moment deciding how to cast his vote.

I know a woman who has registered to vote for the first time in her life. She is 54 years old!

On the 29th I'm slated to receive my Sarah Palin t-shirt! I picked a pink one that has Alaska on it, a barracuda, and the words "Palin Power." I saw some stories in the news that Palin ought to step down and that she didn't interview well and I wonder where they find these yahoos. I watched clips and she did fine. Everyone I know loves Sarah as the vice presidential pick!

Tomorrow I'm missing morning church. We're volunteers for a triathlon in the park. It should be a pretty awesome event to see. Entrants are going to swim one mile, bike 26 miles, and run five miles. My husband and I will help direct traffic so no one gets flattened.

For my Saturday sign-off here's a list someone shared and it's so good I'm going to pass it along.

Have a splendid Saturday day everyone!

Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.

Here are some suggestions:

Mend a quarrel.

Call a friend you haven't seen for a long time.

Replace a suspicion with a trust.

Remove any bitterness in your life.

Write a surprise letter to someone who loves you.

Tell someone you know well how much he or she means to you.

Keep a promise.

Ask God to forgive someone who did something wrong to you, and forget the wrongdoing.

Don't be overly demanding on the other members of your family.

Express thanks to others throughout the day.

Tell someone you love that you care.

Pray for one of your enemies.

Send a check to someone who has a need.

Ask God to help you to love the way Jesus loved.

MacArthur, J. (2001). Truth for today : A daily touch of God's grace (Page 291). Nashville, Tenn.: J. Countryman.

No comments: