Monday, September 08, 2008

A fine day

I didn't do much today. I read and studied. Hmmm, that's the highlights right there. (Oh what poor grammar.) We ordered our absentee ballots and we'll get those in the mail soon. I said I wasn't going to read any more news on the election but I can't keep my eyes off the headline articles! I haven't had so much fun in an election before! Sarah must be the democrat's worst nightmare. Now they're poring over her expense reports and I read the whole article and at the end it said she spent $93,000 on airfare in 2007 and her predecessor spent $463,000 the previous year. Wow. And she flies coach a lot. Wow.

One thing I found unusual and I wondered about was why a New York Times article (NYT tends to be liberal) referred to Hillary as Mrs. Clinton and referred to Sarah as Ms. Palin. I noticed it because the 'Ms.' title is very feminist. I was never crazy about using it myself even when I was young. But Hillary is supposed to be majorly feminist so why are they calling her Mrs., and Sarah, Ms.? Why didn't they use the same title for both women? It makes me go, "Hmmmmm."

I'm excited about this upcoming election. Imagine, five kids in the White House. Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself!

Tomorrow I have to wash my hair. I hope those almonds are working.

The topic I've been studying is abortion and the church. It caught my interest when Pelosi made ridiculous remarks about how it isn't known when a baby is a baby. She tried to base her opinion on Augustine's writings but Augustine was wondering when ensoulment took place and what effect it had on the kingdom. Because she advocates abortion she tries to rationalize it even though we've all seen a human heart and teensy hands and feet inside the womb on tv. But she's Catholic and I know without even reading a thing about Catholics that the church is against abortion. Well, the archbishop has now invited her to meet with him to discuss whether she should continue to receive communion. I will definitely be following this.

How can anyone call themselves Catholic and be pro-abortion? It doesn't add up. You can't be both. The Catholic Catechism is very clear that life is to be respected and protected from the moment of conception. God told Jeremiah that He knew him even before he was in his mother's womb. Pretty awesome stuff there! Next it got me to thinking about birth control. My heart leaped because I know the Catholic Church is against birth control except the rhythm method. I thought, yikes, is my church against birth control too? Much to my relief, I found Protestants find that birth control is not addressed anywhere in the Bible so it's left to the discretion of the person with guidance of the Holy Spirit but you must be informed about what birth control you choose so that you don't use one that works after fertilization. You need to choose one that stops the sperm from meeting the ovum.

My husband's mom was Catholic. She and her husband were married in a civil ceremony and it took her 35 years to convince her husband to marry her in the church. All those years she was not permitted to take communion until after the Catholic Church recognized them as being married in the church. She died long before I met my husband but I now realize how painful that must have been for her. My husband says all she needed was a reason to pray and she'd be on her knees. He says I'm becoming just like her. That's so peculiar I think, in a cosmic kind of way.

The reminds me. I gotta go pray for God's will in the upcoming election.

And this is a quote from Augustine that I want to remember:

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.

No comments: