Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ofra Haza

Today my teacher shared a CD with me. On it is a song by an artist named Ofra Haza. She died in 2000 at only 42 years old. She was a vastly popular Israeli singer who started out doing folk songs and also did pop. She came from a very poor family and was much loved by her country. She was multilingual.

It took me two hours of research to find the English words to this song. She's singing in Hebrew and I found the words all over the Web in Hebrew. That didn't help me at all! The words are from the Old Testament from Song of Solomon, 8:6-7. The music CD has better sound and is more beautiful because it has a little bit of echo. The video's not bad though. You can feel her music. It's an a capella which means voice only, no instruments. I had to look up "a capella" also.

I'm going on the 13th, probably, to a meeting of an organization called Christians United for Israel. Not that that has anything to do with this, but it popped into my head just now and I think I have not mentioned it.

Okay, here's the vid. Take your mind off things for a minute, step outside yourself and listen. It's only three minutes.

Set me as a seal upon thy heart,
as a seal upon thine arm;
for love is strong as death,
jealousy is cruel as the grave;
the flashes thereof are flashes of fire,
a very flame of the LORD.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it;
if a man would give all the substance of his house for love,
he would utterly be condemned.

No comments: