Friday, November 28, 2008

Advent on the 30th!

Advent! Advent! Advent is almost here. I love the season of Advent. Advent means "coming" and it's a time to prepare our hearts and reflect upon the birth of Christ. We've put our Advent wreath together, but we need the center Christ candle still. We have our Advent calendar ready. I have our Christmas song folder out and I found a new song which we're adding to our folder this year. It'll be our first hymn style song. We listened to it on YouTube and our son liked it very much. He's not a headbanger. He dislikes all my Christian headbanging music.

The hymn is called "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" and technically it's not a Christmas song, but you can sing it for Christmas. When I first wanted to do Advent I emailed with a lady and she told me that I could use birthday candles in my wreath if I wanted to; God will bless it because he knows our heart. She told me this because I was all worried about trying to do Advent for the first time and I had no idear where to start. I didn't know anyone who did Advent. She was real nice. That was back in 1999 or so. I still have my notes from that very first year and I remember (since I didn't know what I was doing) reading them to my husband, our son was a baby then, and my husband, bewildered, said, "What is this? What are you doing?" Haha! He asks me that a lot I guess. Like when I told him I wanted to homeschool our youngest son and he bellowed, "Whattya wanna do THAT for?" And here we are!

I was reading to find out why Pentecostals don't do Advent and it's because it's a tradition and they aren't into tradition. That's okay, I can still do it in my home ifns I want to and I do want to.

My husband has a sore throat and a cough and my son and I laid hands on him tonight and prayed for him and rebuked the illness from his body in the name of the Lord. My husband was real sweet and patient and I think he didn't mind. Afterwards my son hollered a lot of Glory to God! and Praise the Lord! and such, and my husband said we're going to church too much. Haha!

Besides adding a hymn to our song repertoire, this year I'm going to bake a cake, a birthday cake, to celebrate Jesus' birthday on the 25th. Yes, I read that idea tonight and the more I think of it the more I think I'll add it to our list. This is the online Advent calender I use for reference. I'm not positive whether I'll use her Bible readings yet. I'm looking for readings that suit us best. I seem to have lost the set I used last year.

And I guess I should say, yes, I do skip the first piece of bread. It's little! And more accurately, it's the second piece of bread because the first one is the heel of the bread. What I want to know is, why is that stupid little piece of bread always the single, last piece in the loaf. I think it's a little weird that the last piece of bread between the two heels always looks suspiciously identical to the little, dry one that was at the beginning of the loaf and I'm the one who gets to eat it for my morning toast and coffee. That's no coincidence!

No comments: