Monday, November 10, 2008

The day got away from me

Where did today go? I didn't do much. We did school. We had a camper come by to report he saw a wolf and claimed he got a good, long, look at it through his binoculars. Well now, a wolf sighting here would be quite remarkable. We've got coyotes, yes, but no reports of wolves. Might I add, yesterday when my husband was doing his rounds this same camper asked what kind of animal was it that had the great, big, tall, ears. It was a jackrabbit. I have to say, bless his heart, such a nice fella he was, but if he doesn't know what a jackrabbit is, can I trust he saw a wolf? And this wolf, he told us excitedly, was this tall, and he motioned practically to chest level. Lemme tell ya, that be one, big, canine roaming the New Mexico desert!

I'm reading a book. Yes, an actual, real, paper book made from a tree and not shining off my computer screen. I'm reading The Secret Garden. Super good so far. I'm half done.

I woke and first thing that popped into my mind this morning after, "Lord, how will you use me today?" was Judy. She's a camper, a full-timer, next to us. I'm guessing she's in her 60's, kind of a salty gal, says what she thinks, used to be a sixth grade teacher in New York. My heart ached for her. I don't know what happened exactly on account of she's a very private person, but her nice, beautiful, 30 foot class C (that's the kind that's a van in the front and living space in back) rig is gone and she's moved into a truck with a camper shell. It's she and her dog. She's got a nice little dog. I feel so sad because she has hardly enough space to turn around in and I thought of her waking up in there this morning and how she must feel. I don't know how she feels. She doesn't seem to be the type to dwell on feelings. That sort of thing is a bit of a pointless luxury in life, isn't it. Yes, I think so. But I feel bad for her and for whatever happened in her finances. There, but for the grace of God, go I. Go we.

So last night I took her a bowl of homemade chicken soup I had just finished making (it turned out well) and some sourdough bread. I think she really liked it. But chicken soup doesn't fix everything. I wish that it could.

No comments: