Monday, March 31, 2008

CS3

We got a desktop a few months ago. We've had a few problems. With Vista. Don't make me say anything about Vista.

In New Mexico I called Dell for this problem. When I viewed my photos in My Pictures everything was dark and brownish. After five dreadful hours on the phone with them over the course of two days (don't make me say anything about that) the problem was fixed. However, an unexpected side effect was...I could no longer open RAW files in Photoshop at all. RAW files are the digital negative of a digital photo and one of the major reasons why I wanted a digital SLR. I googled the problem. I downloaded and installed a plug-in that I thought may have been deleted by Dell's technician (who muddled along worse than I). By the way, I phoned Adobe this week and they walked me through installing the very same plug-in. Still it didn't resolve the problem. The gal told me to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop which I had done before to no avail, but I grit my teeth and in all outward calmness told her I'd do it again on my own instead of over the phone (using up more minutes on our cell phone) and she said, do that and call back.

And I called Adobe a second time. This time they said Photoshop Creative Suite 2 is incompatible with Vista. What. What? What! They said I needed CS3 which is Vista compatible. No tech assistance for me! Why they didn't say so the day before and why the girl spent 45 minutes on the phone with me helping me with the install I don't know. Doesn't make sense, does it. Unless Adobe decided they're getting too many calls that are Vista related that cannot be resolved.

So I downloaded the trial version of CS3. Fixed my problem! Hooray! That's the good news. The bad news is the upgrade version is $199.00.

Don't make me say anything about that either.

No comments: