Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Marrakesh Express 1969

This morning I awoke to "Marrakesh Express" by Crosby, Stills & Nash playing in my mind. Why did I think of that song? I didn't even know the name of the group until 1987. I remember it was 1987 because a girl a few years older than I in my ballet class blathered on and on about how great Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were and I felt inadequate because I had no clue who she was talking about. Later I figured out a couple songs they had done, then I knew who they were. Another girl, this one about twelve years my junior, was crazy about Barry Manilow. Puh-leeese.

We had kielbasa, fried potatoes with onion, and steamed broccoli tonight. It's one of our favorite dinners. The first time I ate this meal was when my husband was in a car accident and a neighbor brought some plates of food to us. I looked at it and figured I'd never eat it because I didn't even know what it was. I'd never eaten kielbasa before. For two days I cleaned the house. Usually I only clean like that when my sister comes over and she came over twice in ten years. For some reason I was a cleaning tornado while my husband was in the hospital though. And I got so hungry on the second day that I ate a plate of that food she brought us and it was the most delicious meal I'd ever had. She had a husband and four kids and she thought to bring me three plates of food.

Speaking of housekeeping, yesterday I got the funniest email from an old high school acquaintance, Collette. She invited me over to her house and she wrote "I never clean house so come over anytime." Haha! I love it. She was a beauty queen in the '70s. She had blonde brown hair and an outgoing personality and a big brother who was very handsome. Once I got to go to the river with her and a group of friends and it was one of the best times I ever had. We floated down the river in inner tubes and got deep, dark tans. I remember combing my wet hair out while I sat on a picnic table in the hot, hot sun. I was thinking to myself how great I looked with my beginning of summer, deep, dark tan. About five of us girls slept overnight on a dock and we giggled and talked until we all drifted off to sleep. I wish I could relive that time. It was delicious. If you could save time in a bottle I would stuff those two days in there.