Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Whuh?

I think I got called a Holy Roller today.  In Zumba class I introduced a new routine.  Unlike the TobyMac song I rotated out for this one, from the get-go there's no mistaking this one's a Christian song.  It starts off with a child's voice clearly repeating two verses from the book of James: "Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God and He will draw near to you."  How do you like filling up the room with those words!  Yeah, buddy.  I sure do.  Then the choreography begins.

So one of my regular students came up to me after class tonight and asked for the name and artist of the song.  She says, "Usually I don't like Holy Roller songs.  I don't like Christian songs.  But I really like this one."  I told her it's not a Holy Roller song.  But praise the Lord.  It made me really happy.  She's a super nice lady too.  She's optimistic, funny, and interesting to be around.   I got a boot out of her.  I have such wonderful students in my class.

I was slightly concerned as to what the reaction in class would be to the new song.  There's always the chance of losing students if God's name is used.  I prayed about it.  There was no doubt in my heart that I wanted to use the song.  Dancing is a joy.  But dancing to a song with Christian lyrics is just different from dancing to secular songs.  It's like my heart is leading and I get pumped in a way that the secular songs don't do.

I'm working on a bachata and a pure salsa next.  Plus a toning song, plus a Zumbatomic song.  Boy, I better learn fast.  Actually, technically, I think I am getting faster at learning routines.  In July it will be one year that I'm teaching Zumba.

My daughter-in-law gave me a great, great compliment last night.  She told me that when my son went back home that he told her over and over how good I Iooked.  He told her that from the back I look 19 years old.  Hehe!  So nice of him.  Funny thing is, I'd never had known it had she not told me.  All he said was, one single time in his deep voice, "You look good, Ma."  I thought he was just being kind.

As my youngest one says, "Life is good."

1 comment:

SchnauzerMom said...

I bet your son is proud of having such a good looking mom. I'm glad the song went over well. You got a chance to be a witness. Not easy these days.