Monday, July 11, 2005

Kettles caused by glaciers


Kettles caused by glaciers Posted by Picasa

The drive leaving Skagway, AK and going back to Whitehorse for supplies. At Skagway you must take a plane or boat to Juneau. Juneau is the only capitol in the United States that cannot be reached by road. No roads go to Juneau. No roads go to Nome or Barrow either. Nice way to keep your constituents at arm's length, eh!

Outside Skagway we came across the most unusual topography. I've seen nothing like it anywhere else. All the ponds and pools were caused by glaciers passing over the land. This picture is the best I have to capture the sight of it. It was a wonderful driving day though the Yukon/Whitepass mountains are quite steep. I was only nervous for a few minutes and even then, there was heavy fog so I couldn't see over the edge of the road. I didn't know what to be more worried about, the thick fog or the sheer drop-off!

Photo take June 27, 2005.

No comments: