Monday, December 28, 2009

Hay, sniffs, and plans

School seemed long! We both got drowsy at about 2:00pm, but we forged ahead and were glad when 3:00pm arrived. It was frightfully cold and I think the heaters made us warm and sleepy.

Son dogsat one of his favorite dogs for the first time and the owners paid him with two baseball caps (which he collects). He really expected and would have preferred cash and I don't know why the people didn't ask him if he'd rather have caps than money. If they ask him for his services again he's going to specify cash payment only. Odd. And he was disappointed.

Bella! Bella, her mum, and the brown filly which the kids are calling "Runs So Fast," all three came to greet me today. I was exceedingly pleased. I expected they might ignore me since I never give them treats. They are as curious as children. I could barely rake at first because they all three were sniffing and checking out what I was doing. I don't want three horses around me at once, so I retreated to the shelter and petted them one at a time. I am very cautious. Accidents seem to happen so fast.

Bella, I think maybe she was putting her lips on me too much today. It's normal foal behavior I think. In fact I cannot tell if she's just sniffing a lot, but you have to not let them put their lips on you or it can turn into nipping. I get worried when I see her lips start to move. I do not want a horse nip. No, no! I have a plan for tomorrow. I will say, "Shhhh" and flick her face to move it away. I read it in the advice forum and also was instructed to do it.

She let me pet her a lot today. I spent an hour out there. It was cold. Tomorrow I'm taking her harness to introduce it to her and let her sniff it, then rub it on her so she gets used to it and isn't afraid of it. If I can I'll put it on her. If not, I will try putting it on her another day. I'm in no rush.

We bought hay for her today. I saw them deliver it. A ton of hay doesn't look like as much as I thought it would. Eek!

2 comments:

Daisy said...

WOW, a horse for Christmas!! Oh Lil, how very exciting!!! I love the name Bella, as I have an Italian background. I use to call my youngest sister Bella ... I still do, sometimes it's just Bell for short ...lol!

Liliana said...

Daisy, we're so happy and joyful about it. Even my husband is helping and totally into it. It will keep our son busy for sure - keep him busy and off the streets. The teen years officially arrive in six months!

So you're part Italian. I didn't know that. I knew an Italian girl in sixth grade named Adriana LaBella, she wasn't even in my class, and I always liked the Bella part. The name still reminds me of her. When I found out it meant beautiful I liked it even more, plus she was pretty and I thought, how lucky is she.