Sunday, February 05, 2006

Texas

Today I drove for four hours. Last April I drove by Kluane Lake in Alaska too. So that adds up to 300 miles driven by Liliana; 25,000 driven by husband. Hmmm. A little uneven isn't it. I should do it more often because you never know when you will need to do it and you don't want to not know how to do it. My boy and I could hook-up ourselves if ever we need to. We know how. He knows how. It's easy driving the Interstate 10 because it's so wide open so I liked it. I was on cruise control most of the time. I've never done city driving with the trailer though. The truckers today were all nice. They blinked me when it was okay to move over. Probably saw me weaving all over because I was nervous.

Tomorrow we will see The Alamo in San Antonio! I've never been there. I've never been here!

If ever I chose a language to learn I'd like to learn Greek I think. In my book The Way We Pray I read that the meaning of the word 'sin' in Greek (and I think also in Aramaic though I must check) is "to miss the mark." As I explain to my son, I tell him, "This is part of the language of faith. It's like learning a new language. It's like learning the language of math." I like to explain things like this to him because when I was young I found that the mere words used in religious studies freaked me out. I just didn't like them. I didn't like how they made me feel. I didn't like them because I didn't understand them. Sin means missing the mark. That is all. Who can deny that they miss the mark? Sin doesn't necessarily have to be something that's going to make me throw up or have to hide my face. Could be, but doesn't have to be.

Familiarizing oneself with the language of faith is necessary to develop one's comprehension and to deepen one's understanding of scripture. It's God's Word so it ought to be worth some time to study.

I hope this posts okay because my blog is doing some weird stuff these past couple days.

No comments: