Wednesday, February 23, 2005

In a quandary so I phoned our pastor's wife

I've been in such a quandary over my dancing, or more specifically, the performing part. I phoned the church office and talked with my pastor's wife today about middle eastern dancing and being Christian. In a nutshell her reply was that if it glorifies God, it's good. If it's overtly sexual or sensual, immodest, a potential stumbling block to others (probably to the dancer too, I would think), it's bad.

We went shopping yesterday for a cabaret costume for me and, oh dear, I didn't find the perfect one (even a beginner costume can cost two to three hundred dollars). They all pushed the bust way, way up. Lord love a duck, as my mom would exclaim, I can't wear my boobs under my chin in front of people. Only one costume had a top that was my proper size and still, there was far too much cleavage to be seen. I went online and ordered one, pretty cute and for only $129.00. I'll see if I can wear a mesh bodysuit underneath it, but if it doesn't work I'm going to tell my dear teacher, Aziza, that I just can't do it. I believe she'll be just fine with that. And I did decide to join the troupe to begin with because I liked the tribal costuming, not cabaret.

It was tough trying on the outfits because cabaret costume tops are not elasticized like bras, plus the straps are quite long to allow for sizing, so I'm there trying to hold two straps at the top, two straps in the back, and the belt all at the same time, and get a good look at myself in the mirror too. Very doofus. And the belt with all the sequins and beading is quite heavy. Sunday night I thought it peculiar that all the belly dancers all kept a copious supply of safety pins. Well it's because they safety pin everything. I was doing plenty of pinning when I helped out as a dresser for the last show.

While the cabaret costume is currently causing me some heartburn, the tribal costuming on the other hand is much more fun! Today I ordered a flying skirt from Gwen at Flying Skirts website. It would be a cinch to sew but I haven't got the time anymore on account of we're emptying our house of all our material things to get ready for our trip around the North American continent. I own a fringe belt that Gwen sewed for me and I get lots of compliments on it. To cover my arms and tummy I ordered a long sleeved, black mesh body stocking by Janie. I need a coin bra real bad but haven't decided where to buy it yet. I'm not even quite clear as to how you wear a coin bra cover. You pin it on a bra or choli I guess.

After we saw the show my little boy said to me in the truck, "Mamma, when are you gong to dance for me?" At the festival he got to see a fire dance, sword dancing, cane dancing, and snake dancing and seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. There is one male in our troupe and my son especially enjoyed his dance.

On to another topic, in the evenings I've been doing Old Yeller by Fred Gipson as our read aloud. Even my husband is enjoying the story. It is a classic after all and I hoped it would appeal to him when I selected it. I'm reading it aloud in my best southern Texas twang though technically it may be more of a southern drawl!

Wore my hair down today, but was home all day. Wore it up in a tight triple twist bun to church. It's slightly oily but looks fine in a bun.

Better is One Day

How lovely is your dwelling place
O Lord Almighty
For my soul longs and even faints for you
For here my heart is satisfied
Within your presence
I sing beneath the shadow of Your wings

Better is one day in Your courts
Better is one day in Your house
Better is one day in Your courts
Than thousands elsewhere

No comments: