Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Good book - Into the Wild

I finished reading Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer. Very good read. I could hardly put it down. The cashier I bought it from was a pretty young girl, a recent high school graduate, and she claimed it's required reading in all of Alaska's high schools. Now I'm reading it aloud to the family. I do like Krakauer's books. I've read his Into Thin Air and that was great. Currently my husband is reading Under the Banner of Heaven, also by Krakauer. I couldn't bear to read it. It's stomach turning. The FLDS were being discussed on the radio yesterday. Could have knocked me over with a feather. I'd never heard of the FLDS before I saw the book and now it's on the radio? Krakauer's book has busted the FLDS wide open for all to see. It's going to be a big story. I also read The Pilot's Wife which I give five solid thumbs down. What a waste of money that one was. It's an Oprah Book Club book. I should have known better. I'll never buy another one of those. I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone I even read it. I was just desperate for a book to read.

Am now reading The Cruelest Miles a story about the beginning of the Iditarod sled dog race. It all started in 1925 when Nome needed antitoxin to stave off a diphtheria epidemic. Horrible disease, that diphtheria. It's a good book so far. Did you know the first syllable of diphtheria is pronounced 'dif?' All these years I've been saying DIP-theria. I just happened to come across the correct pronounciation in my son's reader (I bought him The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto) or I'd still be saying DIPtheria. Incidentally, he enjoyed his book too. He read it in one sitting. I was surprised and pleased that he liked it.

No comments: