Thursday, April 07, 2005

Tired of hearing this about homeschooling

How many more times do I have to hear "I could never homeschool my kids."

I get tired of it. I never pictured myself as a homeschooler, but having 19 years between my sons and seeing the quality of the education our eldest received in Southern California really made it a no-brainer.

You do what you have to do. You do what's best for your family; for the children upon whom you have conferred life. They didn't ask to be born. They didn't ask for second best. You have to do your best on their behalf, even when what's best for them is not what you had planned for at all. When I worked outside the home I loved being an urban planner. I lived it, breathed it, thought about it day and night. Now I'm homeschooling. I enjoy it. It wakes me up. I live it, I breathe it, I think of it day and night.

If one more woman looks at me and marvels at my patience I should like to punch her in the nose. I'm not doing anything that anyone else couldn't do. Education is no big secret. It's not magical or mystical. There's no esoteric elixir to teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. It's my current job. It's a season in my life. I have determined to do my best and I will enjoy the process to the utmost. If I had told myself I couldn't do it, I would have never done it. Now look at us. We're going to be traveling around North America for a year!

We want our son to have a remarkable childhood, a life off the beaten path. Truth is, if we weren't homeschooling we'd never have reached a place in our life where we entertained the idea of a year long trip. You never know where life will take you, but one must foster an open mind for opportunity to knock. An imprisoned spirit cannot fly.

No comments: