Wednesday, September 07, 2011

My niche

I think I've found my niche.  The Zumba with kids went super duper well today.  It was a joy to have such a big group - about 25 kidlets age 9 to 13.  I think they liked it.  I heard the principal is pleased with it.  She was outside with us for a bit and when I saw her sit down I completely forgot my train of thought.  I had to change the subject.  I talked at length about good posture - head straight, shoulders down, chest open, abdominals held in, pelvis tucked under.  I named and demonstrated some dance steps and they did them with me.  I will review posture and steps next week and see if anyone remembers.  I need a little oven timer so I can watch the time.  My husband told me what time it was and I didn't realize I was talking so long!  The kids all listened well.  Oddly, none of them got antsy or looked bored while talked.  The principal did have to separate two teeny bopper girls.  I couldn't tell why but they did ignore me while I was lining them up at the beginning of class.  I had to say, "Yoohoo, you need to move."  I did perceive some attitude in that corner when I began class. Hehe!  I was ready for it.  I think their hearts softened a bit by the end of class.  It's nerve wracking, I know it is, when you're a teen and you're told you have to do Zumba.  I hope the teen chickadees will end up enjoying it.

When I entered the building to collect the kids everyone was talking about Zumba!  I could hear a general murmur going on about Zumba.  I couldn't see them but heard some girls saying, "Zumba isn't dance.  It's just shaking your butt."  I bet it was the talk of the school when I brought them back after class.  Several of the children on the way back told me they loved Zumba.  Bless their hearts.  Made me feel so good.  So good.  Especially the 10 and 11 year old age seemed to be very positive about it.

My wonderful husband put a cover out for me so I didn't have to stand in the sun.  Good thing too.  I don't think I could have done it in the sun.  That reminds me.  I need to instruct the kids on how to jump correctly to ease the impact on their skeletal system.  We're outside on cement.

I had a case of the almost-throw-ups before class.  Sheesh.  I had to lie down on the bed and relax myself.  It's just kids and I still got nervous.  Me and Adele.  I read she throws up before a performance.  I hear she's a very good performer too.  I've never actually thrown up though so I'm not exactly like Adele.  Haha!  She's very beautiful too.

I think I've found my niche.  Pastor says when we are older, kids are raised, we should be teachers.  Everyone has something to share, experience to pass on to younger people.  It resonated with me.  I think he's right about that.  Although I'm 52 and husband is 70 and technically we're not done raising the last one.  :)

1 comment:

SchnauzerMom said...

I'm glad that you have found a ministry. Sounds like you will do a good job too.