Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Big ticket items

Went to Cruces and got home at 5:30pm. It was 106 there and on the way home it rained which brought temp down 20 degrees. Then it went back up at home.

We bought our son a desk from Office Max. He chose a corner desk to make the most of his small space. It's laminated, but it's all his and it's brand new and on sale. Husband and I looked at washers and dryers, flat screen tvs, and sound systems. We are so out of the loop technology-wise that after two minutes of looking at each item we were overwhelmed. We did decide on a tv one step up from what I had been considering. We like the LED backlighting and four HDMI connections for streaming from the internet. He said he'd consider a Maytag washer/dryer set when I was only considering Samsung, so I'll widen my research on that. We decided a HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) is best for our needs sound-wise. We used to have a Yamaha sound system with gigantic speakers. Good thing we didn't keep it. It would never fit in our new space. I don't want to bother with putting a system together piece by piece and I don't want wires all over or to have to spend time putting speakers on the wall, so a real surround sound system is out. We happened to walk by a Bose system that sounded good and was so small! It's only three speakers and a remote. I have to admit I always wanted something Bose and though not every Bose product is a good deal, I think this one is. So I'm reading, reading, reading. It was nice when we lived in the Bay Area because just reading the tech section of the Silicon Valley newspaper (The Mercury News) naturally kept us up to date about what products were good or mediocre or no good. Now I'm running fast as I can to get educated to spend our money well for best value.

For the furniture I decided on the same pieces but without the stars. I guess stars are kinda Texas. I love Texas. I sure do. But if I had a symbol in our living area I'd rather use the zia from the New Mexican flag. I thought the star was kinda Amish too. I love the Amish. But they're in Pennsylvania.

I think I just memorized another routine for Zumba. It's for the song "Rock Around the Clock." A 1950s tune. It's in my head. I'll have to see if my body can do it this afternoon. Tomorrow's my first class. I feel well. Excited. I had a bad stomach ache for a week and a half, but yesterday and today it's gone. I ate a big full taco lunch yesterday. It was sooo nice to eat a good meal and feel relaxed. I've been having to eat such tiny portions because my stomach was tense. I'm in a prayer group and my friends are praying for me. "Be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." And "God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind." And then the Holy Spirit showed up Sunday night and was so sweet. Church went on for two and a half hours. I went up to alter call and let the Spirit fill me up and I'm still in the flow with it. I praise his wonderful, magnificent, glorious name.

5 comments:

April said...

Hi Lil! :)

I love most anything rustic and Southwestern and your tables (with or without the stars) are super nice! And you're moving into a house! A house!!! Will you have fun decorating it? I remember you once said you didn't have the "decorating gene". I thought that was funny. You picked out those tables didn't'cha? So maybe you're starting to get the gene now! :)

Also, I've not been online much lately, but wanted to tell you how beautiful you looked in the two pictures you posted recently. And happy and fit! Those pictures just made me smile.

Good luck with your Zumba classes! I sure wish you were here in the boonies to teach it 'cause I'd be there in a heartbeat. I miss my workout classes and am just about ready to join the one and only gym here. I'm walking around our property and gardening, but that's never been enough for me to stay toned. I know I'd love one of your classes.

Later, Lil! :)

yrautca said...

Your son made the modern day choice. You and your husband need to catch up with the rest of the world ;)

SchnauzerMom said...

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun decorating. Good luck with the class I hope it goes well.

Unknown said...

Wow, you are getting some really cool stuff for the house! I am really excited for you :). Hope your Zumba class goes well! It sounds like your church service was awesome! It is so wonderful to be able to praise and worship God. And I love it when the Holy Spirit shows up!

Liliana said...

Hi April and Yr and SchnauzerMum and Jen. (I feel like I'm on the show "Romper Room."

April, I might have to convene with you and get your artsy input. I'm trying to do something to make the living area nice. I figure I should put forth the effort right away since we'll probably live there five years for sure. Son will be 18 in five years and who know what husband and I will do then. I may as well try to make it pretty. It's hard!

Yr, are you kidding me! Laminated furniture is the thing? Naw. I don't believe it. I'm gonna call you up when it starts peeling! Wood you can refinish. Laminated you gotta toss it.

Kathryn, I'm going to blog the Zumba class next. It went well!

Jen, I'm looking forward to tomorrow because I need a refill. I love my Pentecostal church.